Wednesday, September 8, 2004

It is an adjustment, being back here. Instead of no time and an overload of human contact, busily scurrying through days filled with meetings and conferences, I am suddenly in a vacuum of ample time and minimal company during the day.

I did get a ray of sunshine on my doorstep this morning. Two songbirds unexpectedly appeared from their new habitat up in Canada. Welcome back! I can only infer that they missed me so much that they dashed southwards as soon as I came home. Well, that's my theory anyway.

But the working alone and not being buried in slipping deadlines has meant that I have been drowning my friends in e-mails and phonecalls. I realized that this morning, and am consciously taking a step back.

Besides, what is the point of having a lot of time for yourself if you don't use it for yourself?

And with that, he went out biking again. Having blissfully forgotten the aches and pains that he experienced after yesterday's biking expedition.