Sunday, October 16, 2005

Bleeding

I have been reliving the horrific experience of my life these last few days. Not literally, and this time not by watching my wife in peril, but a dear, dear friend of mine.

The similarities are chilling. She, too, experienced a sudden and massive bleeding, which threw her over to a place where she felt it was touch-and-go for a while. The episode was powerful enough to evoke contemplations of what were to happen if she would die. How the scariness of it came in retrospect. And then the gratitude for just being alive, apart from everything else.

This girl is one of those precious few people who are already filled with joie de vivre, and thankful for being able to enjoy it. She was therefore in no need of such a wakeup-call, and I dearly hope that she will not receive more of them.

It may be just that it has been a while since we last met, or maybe just the shock of this happening, but I am really longing to see her again. Or perhaps this just caused a 'disturbance in the Force', seeing how I had sent her an e-mail, telling her that I was missing her, just hours before learning what had happened.

My wife will every now and then comment on how we all are really much more connected than we think. I usually shrug off those comments.

But not tonight.